Tuesday, July 14, 2009

In which they nap.

It was that kind of morning. The kind that told me I should not have awoken the peaceful ones. We HAD to get up at 7. Okay, this is not early by any stretch of the imagination, especially if you are a Mom. However, it was early after a long day of fun yesterday. So, I woke them up. Why? Because my dear, wonderful faithful husband hired someone to come deep clean the house for me. DID YOU HEAR THAT??? I said, "My DEAR, WONDERFUL, FABULOUS, FAITHFUL husband hired a maid for me!" Woo-hoo! Shouts of extreme joy and endless happy dancing ensue. But they had to come at 8am. So, I woke everyone up at 7. Do you know what I was going to do? Because I was bestowing the "fabulous mom" award on myself, I decided to take them to Chick-fil-a. DID YOU HEAR THAT? We were going to Chick-fil-a for breakfast because I had a maid service coming to my house!!! (insert whooping of children here) But then it started. You know it. The behavior that comes from not having enough sleep, having a Mom run you from fun thing to fun thing and having the need to just be in your own home for a time. But I pushed. I told them to shape up. They begged forgiveness. We had Bible time. We prayed. We went to Chick-fil-a and all went well. Until. Noon. That was the hour. It was high noon. Attitudes were in full swing, mouths were talking back, eyes were droopy with sleep. So I did it. I made everyone nap. I mean everyone: the 2, 4, 5, 9, 11 year olds and even the dog. And do you know what they did? They all slept for 3 hours. Do you know what a homeschooling Mom can accomplish in 3 hours?! I sorted and put away all of our school work from the past year, cleaned out the computer desk junk drawer, laid on the couch and pondered what to do next, started planning this next school year, made a few phone calls, texted my husband, emailed my mother-in-law, wondered what to wear to my husbands 20 year high school reunion, drank a lemon-lime seltzer, started more laundry and wondered when the children were going to wake up again so we could play. Now they are all dressed (princess dresses for the girls and swords for the boys) and ready for a daring re-enactment of Pendragon, Sword of His Father. All is right again.

How did your day go?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

HAHAHA...LOVE IT! I want that maid too...do you
think he would get it for me, his mother in law?!